Don’t worry, FAIRTIQ uses personal data exclusively for detecting your journeys and finding the right tickets. We do not sell your personal data.
Which permission settings should I enable on iOS?
This answer is exclusively for iPhone/iOS users. For Android users, please refer to this page.
- Location preferences: For your journey to be detected correctly, FAIRTIQ needs the permission to access your location set to “always”. It doesn’t mean FAIRTIQ always uses it: the app only accesses your position while you are travelling with FAIRTIQ.
- Motion & Fitness: Set to On, so that FAIRTIQ can detect footsteps and remind you to check-out when you have reached your destination.
- Notifications: Set to On, so that FAIRTIQ can send you check-out reminders as well as a price summary of your journey.
- Background app refresh: Set to On, so that FAIRTIQ can continue tracking your location if your phone is restarted (for example if your phone ran out of battery while travelling).
- Mobile data: Set to On, so that your mobile phone can communicate with FAIRTIQ during the journey, to guarantee a valid ticket. While travelling, FAIRTIQ typically uses 1MB of data per hour.
- WIFI and Bluetooth: We recommend to activate these. Even if they are not connected, they will improve the accuracy of your location data.
The easiest way to make sure all these permissions are enabled is to re-install the FAIRTIQ app and authorise all accesses.
Will FAIRTIQ still work if I use location preference “While Using the App”, “Ask Next Time” or “Never”?
No, FAIRTIQ will not work.
With these location preferences, FAIRTIQ would not be able to guarantee the right journey recognition in case of app crashes. We want to make sure that you keep a valid ticket until you have reached your destination, no matter the state of your phone.
So, when does FAIRTIQ access my location?
FAIRTIQ only tracks your data when the app is open or when a journey is ongoing.
- FAIRTIQ starts accessing your location when you open the app.
- FAIRTIQ stops accessing your location when the journey is finalized: 5 minutes after the price is displayed, the latest.
Yes, but my phone told me that FAIRTIQ accessed my background location x times in the last 3 days?
This is probably because you made a journey on FAIRTIQ and that the FAIRTIQ app was not visible on the screen at all times. Don’t worry, the app did not try to find out where you were on other occasions.
How do I check this?
You can open your phone Settings > Privacy > Location Services. You have our word that you will never see a purple arrow next to FAIRTIQ when there is no ongoing journey (the purple arrow indicates that the app has recently accessed the location and can take up to a minute to clear). If you don't use the app for 24 hours, you won't even see a grey arrow (a grey arrow indicates that the app has used your location in the last 24 hours).
What happens to my personal data?
We do not sell your personal data. At FAIRTIQ, we care a lot about data privacy and comply with all national and international standards such as the GDPR. We are also in communication with data protection agencies as well as with consumer protection entities.
Here is some more information about this topic:
Our promise to you on our website
A blog article about data privacy written by our CTO.
This setting uses a lot of battery. What can I do?
We measured the battery usage of FAIRTIQ on the various phone models and operating systems. On average we noted that FAIRTIQ uses around 3% per hour. The battery empties much faster if other apps/features are used alongside FAIRTIQ.