How would you like to enjoy unlimited travel on urban and regional public transport this summer and pay no more than 9 euros per month? Well, now you can, and FAIRTIQ will be right there with you. Once your monthly fares come to 9 euros, you will receive a ticket that you can use on public transport across Germany during that month. If you're not sure whether you'll get your money's worth from the new ticket, don't worry. With FAIRTIQ, you will only be charged for the journeys that you actually make. Whether you travel a little or a lot in Germany this summer, you will never pay more than 9 euros a month for your public transport use in participating regions.
What is the 9-euro ticket?
The 9-euro ticket is a monthly travel pass that can be used on regional public transport services across Germany during the months of June, July and August. However, you cannot use it on Deutsche Bahn long-distance trains for example, or for travel in 1st class. The ticket costs 9 euro per month and is valid for the calendar month in which it is bought. It is not automatically renewable, which means you have to purchase a new ticket every month.
How the 9 euro ticket works on the FAIRTIQ app
- If you're already a FAIRTIQ app user, you simply do as you always do. No additional sign-up is required.
- As soon as your fares reach 9 euros, you travel free of charge in participating regions for the rest of the calendar month. Fares for all your journeys will be displayed in the app but will not be charged to your FAIRTIQ account.
- If you reach the 9-euro mark before the end of the calendar month, you will automatically receive a ticket which you can use on local and regional public transport across Germany, even in regions that have yet to adopt the FAIRTIQ app. To access the ticket, open the app menu and go to 'Promotions'.
Please note that this ticket is not valid on long-distance train services, and can only be used for travel in 2nd class.
What happens if my fares come to less than 9 euros at the end of the month? Do I still have to pay 9 euros?
No. With FAIRTIQ, you only ever pay for the journeys you actually make.
I have passed the 9-euro mark, but the app still displays the fares for the additional journeys I have taken during the month. Why?
The FAIRTIQ app continues to display the fares for every journey you make even if you have already exceeded the 9-euro cap. Don't worry, though. You will only be charged the 9 euros and the outstanding fare balance will be credited to your FAIRTIQ account at the end of the month.
My region has a FAIRTIQ bonus programme. What happens to it during June, July and August
Journeys taken in June, July and August will not count towards the FAIRTIQ bonus. Don't worry, though. The FAIRTIQ loyalty programme will automatically kick into gear again on 1 September 2022!
Can I use the 9-euro ticket in regions where FAIRTIQ is not available?
You will find a list of participating regions here:
- Verkehrsgemeinschaft am Bayerischen Untermain
- Verkehrsverbund Bremen & Niedersachsen
- Regio-Verkehrsverbund Freiburg
- Verkehrsverbund Oberelbe
- Verkehrsverbund Mittelthüringen
As soon as your fares come to 9 euro, you will receive a ticket that is valid on all local and regional public transport services in Germany, including in regions where the FAIRTIQ app is not yet available. To access the ticket, open the app menu and go to 'Promotions'.
Once I reach the 9-euro mark, can I still check in and check out for free?
You can continue to check in and check out for free in all participating regions (see above). Alternatively, you can simply show your 9-euro ticket. If you are travelling in a region where FAIRTIQ is available, forget about checking in and out. Just show your 9-euro ticket.
Do the same conditions apply in all FAIRTIQ regions?
No, please check the conditions for the other FAIRTIQ regions in our Help Centre.