Card rejections are frustrating, we know.
They also are frustrating for FAIRTIQ. Adding your payment method to FAIRTIQ is a process involving you, your bank, our app, and sometimes a few unexpected twists. Let us guide you towards a resolution!
🗒️ You are not alone! Around 12% of the cards added are rejected. We have no intention to decline your card. Luckily, most of our users find the solution!
How it works
When you add a means of payment, FAIRTIQ initiates a secure process that involves requesting approval from your bank. This verification step ensures that your payment method is valid and authorized for use with FAIRTIQ. This process also includes 3D Secure which is in place to prevent unauthorized use of credit cards for online purchases.
Reasons for a rejection
The most common reason for card rejection is related to something called "3D Secure verification." It's like an extra layer of security that your bank or card issuer wants to make sure online transactions are safe. When you see this issue, it means that this extra security step didn't work as it should. Here's how to fix it:
- Activate 3D Secure on your card: Make sure your card has this extra security feature turned on. If it's not on, get in touch with your bank and ask them to help you to enable it for your card. This is required for each new card also for a replacement card.
- Retry your 3D Secure process: You might need to enter a one-time code sent to your phone or email or use a mobile app to accept the payment. Make sure to do it correctly. For this process, FAIRTIQ redirects you onto the ecosystem of your bank.
🌐 Are you using Brave Browser? Then, activate "Allow app links to open in apps outside of Brave" in your settings.
Sometimes, your bank may say "no" to using your card (about 15% of the time). This can happen for security reasons or other concerns. If this occurs, it's essential to contact your bank for help. They can explain why your card was declined and guide you on what to do next. Please know that we can't access your bank's information, so we can't assist you in these situations. Remember, your bank is there to support you, and talking to them is the best way to solve the problem.
In about 6% of cases, small mistakes when typing in your card number, expiration date, or CVV number can lead to your card being rejected. Carefully check and re-enter these details. Even a tiny mistake will cause a rejection.
Make sure your credit card is still good for online shopping. Look at the expiration date on your card, and if it's expired, you'll need to use a different card, one that's not expired.
If your card doesn't have enough money to pay for what you're buying or has reached some spending limits, you'll need to add more money to your card, increase the spending limit, or use a different one that has enough funds.
Still rejected? Next steps
- Try a digital wallet: In most FAIRTIQ regions, a digital wallet (e.g. PayPal, TWINT, Apple Pay, Google Pay...) is accepted. If you have an account with one of these services, try using it as an alternative payment method.
- Try an alternative Credit or Debit Card: Consider using a different credit or debit card. Sometimes, a card from another bank or issuer may work better for your transaction. Ensure that the card you choose is valid, has sufficient funds, and is correctly entered.
- Ask family & Friends: If you don't have another credit card at your disposal, consider trying a family member's card. Doing so can help determine whether the issue lies with your card or not.
If you've exhausted all these options
Contact us via your FAIRTIQ app or this contact form. In your request, please include the following information:
- Date & time of your last tentative of adding your card
- Last 4 digits of your card
- Type of card (e.g. Mastercard, Visa, Postfinance)