Don’t worry, FAIRTIQ uses personal data exclusively for detecting your trips and finding the right tickets. We don't sell your personal data.
Which permission settings should I enable on iOS?
This answer is exclusively for iPhone/iOS users. For Android users, please refer to this page.
- Location preferences: For your trip to be detected correctly, FAIRTIQ needs the permission to access your location set to "always". It doesn’t mean FAIRTIQ always uses it: the app only accesses your location while you are travelling with FAIRTIQ. Find out more here.
- Motion & Fitness: Set to On, so that FAIRTIQ can detect footsteps and remind you to stop the trip when you have reached your destination.
- Notifications: Set to On, so that FAIRTIQ can send you check-out reminders as well as a price summary of your trip.
- Background app refresh: Set to On, so that FAIRTIQ can continue tracking your location if your phone is restarted (for example if your phone ran out of battery while travelling).
- Mobile data: Set to On, so that your mobile phone can communicate with FAIRTIQ during the trip, to guarantee a valid ticket. While travelling, FAIRTIQ typically uses 1MB of data per hour.
- WIFI and Bluetooth: We recommend to activate these. Even if they are not connected, they will improve the accuracy of your location data.
The easiest way to make sure all these permissions are enabled is to re-install the FAIRTIQ app and authorise all accesses.
Will FAIRTIQ still work if I use location preference "While Using the App", "Ask Next Time" or "Never"?
No, FAIRTIQ will not work.
The "always" permission for the location is an unfortunate requirement because it's not what we do or intend to do (always to track you). However, it is a due requirement for the FAIRTIQ app to automatically restart in case it shuts down on its own (e.g. empty battery, restart of the phone, new app version installed during the trip, app crash, etc.). It happens during 6% of the trips.
So, when does FAIRTIQ access my location?
FAIRTIQ only tracks your location when the app is visible on the screen or when a trip is ongoing.
Yes, but my phone told me that FAIRTIQ accessed my background location x times in the last 3 days?
This is probably because you made a trip with FAIRTIQ and that the FAIRTIQ app was not visible on the screen at all times. Don’t worry, the app did not try to find out where you were on other occasions.
How do I check this?
- Open the settings of your iPhone > Privacy > Location Services.
- Find FAIRTIQ in the list and look at the symbols.
- A purple arrow indicates that the app has recently accessed the location and can take up to a minute to clear.
- A grey arrow indicates that the app has used your location in the last 24 hours.
- You have our word that you will never see a purple arrow next to FAIRTIQ when you're not using FAIRTIQ. If you don't use the app for 24 hours, you won't even see a grey arrow.
What happens to my personal data?
We do not sell your personal data. At FAIRTIQ, we care a lot about data privacy and comply with national and international standards such as the GDPR.
Here is some more information about this topic:
Our promise to you on our website
A blog article about data privacy written by our CTO.
This setting uses a lot of battery. What can I do?
FAIRTIQ uses about 3% of battery per hour during a trip. The battery empties much faster if other apps/features are used alongside FAIRTIQ.